Thanks for stopping by my place 🙂
Over the last few years, I've poured my heart and soul into Kate Hoerner Fitness, and I'm so happy to be able to share it with you.
My Fitness Journey
Fitness came into my life at a young age, triggered - like so many of us- by a desire to change my body. I was a chubby tomboy, occupied by things like Creepy Crawlers, LEGOs, and sports, and the world quickly let me know that I didn't fit into the girly mold that I was supposed to.
So that's when I turned to the gym and started focusing on my nutrition. By high school, I had grown into a genuine love (and obsession) for all things fitness and spent countless hours reading and educating myself on the human body and physical fitness.
I believe that the key to achieving both optimal health and physical fitness is to first get the mind right. Once you get yourself into a healthy mindset, you can focus on accumulating small, healthy practices and habits. Things don't have to be so complicated. In fact, the healthiest lifestyles are usually the most simple.
My Cycling Story
When I got to college, I was ready to try some new modes of fitness. I was comfortable in the gym, but I hadn’t taken any group fitness classes so that seemed like the logical next step. I took one indoor cycling class and was totally hooked! I started going multiple times a week and after just a few months I decided to get certified and become an instructor.
When I taught my first class in 2007, I knew I had found “my thing”.
Needless to say, I’m an indoor cycling junkie and have been for over a decade. Part of why I love it is the fact that it can be as complicated or as simple as we want it to be. There is SO much to learn about being on a bike, whether it’s indoors or outdoors, but it’s also very beginner-friendly.
Aside from being a cycling instructor, I’m an ACE-certified personal trainer and I teach other forms of group fitness. Even after all my experience in the fitness industry, I have to say that the bar has always been set the highest as an indoor cycling instructor.
Why Instructors Need Coaches
Getting an indoor cycling certification is a great accomplishment, but there is a lot more to creating a great class than just the instructor title.
The industry has undergone some MAJOR changes over the past few years and most certifications have not kept up. No matter what cert you have, I imagine you left the training feeling like you still had so much to learn before you had an audition or got up in front of a class. Even if you’ve been an instructor for years, you could probably stand to learn more. (There’s always room for improvement, isn’t there?)
Either way, I feel you. I was there, too.
I had a really hard time gaining confidence in front of my classes and there was no where to turn. I honestly almost gave up a few times because I had major imposter syndrome and I felt like a fraud up there on stage.
I worried about things like...
What if I talk too much? What if I don't have enough to say?
Will everyone like my music?
How do I avoid getting TOO technical while still giving them enough detail on how to ride?
What if I get tired and out of breath?
Is my class too easy? Could it be too hard?
Where can I go to get help with all this?!
You get the idea.
Point is, I have spent the last few years digging, and I mean DIGGING, into all forms of indoor cycling so that I could support and coach other instructors so that they never have to feel like there’s no one to help them. I'm super excited to share everything with you because there are just so many things that I wish someone had told me way back when I started.
If you want to jump right in and start working- whether it's writing a routine, matching music, or just getting confident on stage- here are some of my coaching options.
I'm also pumped to give you a a support system of other instructors. I can't emphasize how important that support will be in your ability to improve as an instructor.
You can request access to the group here: Indoor Cycling Instructor Crew.
Here are a few more personal nuggets about me:
- I live just outside of Boston with my husband, Joe, and my pup, Coogee.
- I either have food or fitness on the mind at all times. Usually food.
- I love long walks on the...well, pretty much wherever. Give me 30 minutes to an hour of free time and you'll find me walking around listening to a podcast.
- I truly love having the opportunity to motivate and challenge my clients to be better instructors and regain a love and passion for cycling.
- I'm an early bird. I have the most energy and I'm most productive in the mornings around 5-10am.
- I have nutrition certifications through both Precision Nutrition and Metabolic Effect (nutrition fascinates me, and it's SUPER complicated so I'm always looking to learn more)
- I love brunch. Give me eggs in any form and I'm happy.
- If I have spare time in my day, you'll always find me going for a long walk with my pup (Coogee) and a good podcast
- My favorite foods are GIANT salads, sandwiches filled with tons of yummy stuff, and ice cream.
- Iced coffee (with a straw) is a must, even when it's snowing outside
- I love to travel with my hubs, especially road trips in new countries.
- I love setting new goals for myself- fitness, health, career, and even character goals.
- I love a hard, short, workout that gets me out of breath and drenched in sweat.
- I like cooking and baking. Sometimes I experiment and it doesn’t work so well, but it’s always fun to try new things. I believe REAL food is the best way to get the nutrients we need- no need for powders or supplements.
- I'm terrified of spiders.
- I can't sit still. I always need to be doing something. My husband will tell you that I'm the worst person to watch movies or TV with because I do other things while I watch and every 5 minutes I ask "Wait, so what happened?"
- I’m excited to share my journey with you!
- ACE Certified Personal Trainer
- Certified Spinning® Instructor
- Precision Nutrition Certified Coach
- Metabolic Effect Nutrition Consultant
- BS and MBA from Boston College
If you have any questions or struggles that you would like me to address, shoot me an email at email@example.com. If you don't have any specific questions, you can jump over here to check out some free downloads.